3/13/20 *3/23/20 Update Below*
There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the Covid-19/Corona virus and it’s continued spread nationally and globally. The transportation industry is a unique one in that from our offices in Brunswick and Westbrook, our freight and household goods company drivers and owner operators can traverse the entire country before coming back to Maine on a 2-4-week trip over the road.
On a local level, our moving consultants travel the state daily meeting new people who need help planning a move, and our dedicated movers are in and out of different homes and offices every day. Our busy warehouse may receive 5-10 different freight deliveries each day from drivers all over the country. In addition, our customers are moving all over the country and should travel become restricted it will affect move logistics. We are here for you and will work with you to plan and adjust accordingly.
Considering the above, this statement will outline the steps that Bisson is taking to protect our valued employees and customers during these uncertain times.
- Frequent hand washing and hygiene practices are strongly enforced with our team members. Hand sanitizer is being provided on the moving trucks as well.
- There will be no hand shaking between staff and customers.
- Employees are instructed to remain at home if exhibiting any symptoms. This may lead to some inconvenient call outs, but it is necessary for everyone’s continued good health.
- If you have concerns about in-home appointments, our moving consultants can complete your moving surveys either over the phone, through FaceTime, or Skype. Some consultants will opt to utilize this method as the standard.
- Interstate moves and the logistics may change, and this would be entirely beyond our control. In the event of a travel ban or travel delays, it may be necessary to store your goods in our warehouse until delivery is possible. This will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
- In bound or outbound international shipments are experiencing long delays from holds on sea and air transportation. It may be necessary to store your items in our warehouse before arranging outbound shipping so that your goods are not sitting in a container at port for several months.
- Bisson has always been a leader in utilizing technology in the moving industry, and our office staff is prepared to setup at-home workstations on an individual or office wide basis.
- Debris from our trucks are cleaned out daily from each move.
- We have the resources necessary to wash our moving pads in the event of a customer being diagnosed, as well as reserve pads that we can swap out. We will dispose of any pads if needed.
- Atlas has preemptively canceled its 53rd annual Forum on Moving conference scheduled for this spring.
- We reserve the right to refuse or cancel service in a high-risk area or area where there is a state of emergency declared, depending on the severity of the situation or location in the country. This will be determined on a case by case basis.
- We reserve the right to refuse or cancel service on a local level if a customer is under quarantine or there otherwise is a direct threat to the health and safety of our employees.
- High-risk areas such as retirement communities may have their own guidelines prior to move in or out, and you or a family member should speak to management before scheduling your move.
At the time of this writing, Maine has had several confirmed cases. Sporting events and public gatherings are cancelled around the state and country. These decisions are not made lightly, it will have significant impacts on the local economy from student/faculty spending, and possible job layoffs. However, it highlights the need to do what is best for the community, not the individual. If you feel symptomatic or have tested positive for Corona or COVID-19, please adhere to the CDC guidelines (linked below), and please inform us as soon as possible.
In order to minimize the number of people accessing our warehouses during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Bisson is imposing a temporary suspension of residential rack and vault “look-through’s” until April 15, 2020. At that point we will re-evaluate this policy, which may or may not be extended. Commercial storage evaluations, including BDS file storage, will not be affected at this time. Residential customers who want their vaults/racks delivered out or want their belongings loaded directly into their vehicles off our dock will be accommodated with prior reservation. This policy is effective immediately. We apologize for any inconvenience, but these are highly unusual times and this is one step in “flattening the curve.” Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. We will continue to provide updates as they develop.
We understand that you may have a home sale in progress, you may be in the process of buying your dream home or arranged cross-country travel plans. Think of what is best for the community and do what is right by taking this pandemic seriously and informing the proper medical professionals. Together we can make sure everyone’s health and safety remain a priority. Bisson will do everything we can to protect you and your family, as well as our staff and their families. Patience and understanding from all parties are crucial as logistics may change quickly as the virus continues to spread. Please contact us at 207-591-1000 with questions.
Thank you in advance,
Bisson Moving & Storage and Bisson Transportation